Application & Engineer Support Manager - £70k, fully remote.
Large financial services company (investments & pensions) required a manager to run the applications and engineering teams.
The IT Operations department ensure the availability and stability of the Digital Solutions’ Platform on a 24/7 365 basis. Incident, Change, Problem, Business Continuity, Risk and License management processes are used to control the multiple Platform environments whilst enabling a dynamic and flexible IT service.
The Operations team, which resides within the IT Operations department, are responsible for the overall management of the Production, Development and Test environment estate.
The management encompasses code deployment, environment monitoring and alerting, configuration management and environment refreshing.
The team are a critical function which ensures environment stability and provides a rapid change deployment capability, through the adoption of various automation mechanisms.
Summary of Role:
The purpose of this role is to support the delivery of the Environment Operations departmental strategy; which is to provide a highly available and controlled estate of environments with a focus on process management and automation.
Supporting the strategy will include the successful completion of BAU activity, in-line with policies and procedures, effecting a strong working relationship with our augmentation partners and managing a continuous improvement programme; with an emphasis on process automation and service availability.
The role will require strong technical understanding across a wide range of technologies and will require an ability to discuss, analyse and influence both technical and non-technical decisions.
- Responsible for team capacity management and future workload planning and allocation
- Responsible for the management of continual service improvement activity
- Responsible for the management and attestation of regular controls
- Responsible for regular control reviews, including retrospective control evaluations, for appropriateness
- Work closely with Service Transition to ensure visibility of future project requirements, ensure appropriateness of delivery and resource availability
- Work closely with Service Management to ensure critical incidents are visible and investigated accordingly
- Work closely with our Technical Architects and Infrastructure partner to evaluate capacity utilisation and appropriateness of current and future infrastructure provision
- Work closely with Internal Risk functions to ensure appropriate controls are in place to safeguard the department
- Create and review monthly and ad-hoc Service reports containing SLA, KPI and KRI data
- Regular senior engagement with Suppliers to investigate and resolve critical deployment issues
- Regular engagement with Suppliers and internal development teams to ensure appropriateness and standardisation in deliveries.
- Responsible for the appropriateness and timely delivery of environments following a refresh, with minimal issue investigation
- Responsible for the appropriateness of the automated environment monitoring and alerting
- Responsible for the appropriateness of configuration management capability across the estate of environments and logging of configuration items.
- Strong management and leadership background to deliver business goals and encourage team to fulfil their full potential.
- Strong Service Management background - particularly relating to Service Operation and Transition, but with in-depth knowledge and experience of Change, Release, Incident and Problem Management. Self-motivated achiever who gains satisfaction from providing excellent service to their customers.
- Ability to highlight areas for improvements and desire to manage change through to completion
- Ability to influence key stakeholders to ensure appropriate outcomes
- Strong analysis capability and ability to implement clear process definition, introduction and improvement. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required along with the ability to discuss technical information to non-technical staff
- Availability to participate in provide an out of hours service to the Business, third parties and overnight support teams
- Understanding complex architecture across multiple environment stacks and technologies
- Experience with supporting Windows and Linux operating systems
- Experience with supporting Java applications (Desirable)
- Experience with supporting .Net applications (Desirable)
- Experience with scripting languages (Desirable)
- Experience with T-Sql (Desirable)
- Experience within AWS (Desirable)
- Experience with cloud native technologies (Desirable)
- Relevant industry qualifications
- ITIL foundation
- Further ITIL qualifications (desirable)
This position is fully remote and can based anywhere in the UK full time. If travel to an office is required it will be expensed. The salary is based up to £70k with excellent benefits and bonus potential.