Large European banking group require a Financial Reporting Accountant for an initial 12 month contract.
The role entails dealing with group reporting, statutory accounts preparation and liaising with external bodies such as Office for National Statistics.
The role is very hands on, which includes the review of accounting journals and approving balance sheet reconciliations.
- Direct responsibility for Product Accounting team & management of its team members (on/offshore).
- Covering monthly production (accounting (PnL, B/S & OBS), reporting & control), analysis, adhoc investigations & explanations (to management & business lines).
- Ensure that product accounting complies with statutory accounting standards as well as to challenge incorrect accounting treatments.
- Primarily manage day to day activities of the team as well as perform production tasks as deemed necessary
- Reporting directly to the Head of Accounting, working autonomously, supporting the Head of Accounting & Finance Management. Act as support & confidant to the Head of Accounting.
- Define & deliver regular metrics on both team & financial performance (as agreed by management)
- Provide management & oversight of both onshore (London) & offshore (India) Product Accounting teams.
- Be a key stakeholder & steer for offshore optimisation & team definition
- Analysis & Control of Product Inventory & Accounting integrity in the General Ledger.
- Improve, develop & implement internal control procedures surrounding the team
- Strong expertise in Financial & Product accounting across Prime & Commodities product control
- At least 8 years Banking or Brokerage experience in a similar role
- Experience in general accounting would be beneficial but not essential
- Analytical and critical mindset.
- Good writing ability in Word & Powerpoint and PowerBI/Alteryx (drafting notes, reports, explanative papers …)
- Analytical & inquisitive mindset, open minded to change with the initiative to propose & initiate it.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines but also challenge requests & the approach to them
- Experience in process improvements & streamlining is also required.
- Relationship skills to build a good working relationship with business lines, OPER, ITEC plus other Finance Departments in London, Head Office, offshored teams & other control functions.
- Ability to drive discipline within the team. Ensuring deadlines & account reconciliation are completed on time, audit trails maintained.